The design of intermodal containers varies depending on the source of manufacture. However, all types show the following features;
- All types have metal frames (usually steel) surrounding the container floor with cross beams providing the support.
- The floor or deck is usually timber and may incorporate lashing points to attack ropes or other cargo securing devices.
- At each corner of the container floor are corner castings constructed to specifications laid down by the international standard organisation (ISO) which allow the container to be secured by locking devices.
- The locking devices can only enter the corner casting when in a particular position once turned to another position the device is locked into the casting.
- Strong side and top rails are provided to frame the doors of the container.
- Corner castings are provided at each of the top corners thereby permitted containers to be secured one to another.