Topic 1, Sub-Topic 1
There are two types of transshipment:
- Direct Transshipment – This happens when goods from a foreign country passing through a Partner State’s port to another foreign destination.
- For example, goods from China offloaded at the port of Dar es Salaam and transferred to another vessel to transport the cargo to South Africa.
- Indirect Transshipment- This happens when goods from a foreign country pass through a Partner State’s two or more ports to another foreign destination.
- For example, goods from India are offloaded at the port of Mombasa and transferred by road to Moi International Airport, for delivery to Angola.
You have been recruited by a Client in Kigali to import some raw materials for his factory from China. He has also requested that you export for him some finished goods to Europe.
- State the import procedures that you will follow in importing the raw materials from China to Kigali
- State the export procedures that you will follow in exporting the finished products from Kigali to Europe
- Discuss the Customs controls inherent in the clearance procedure for transit goods.
- Discuss the benefits of the Single Customs Territory procedures as implemented in the EAC region.
- Discuss the following about One Stop Border Posts:
- How the OSBPs operate.
- Benefits to traders of the OSBP modernization initiative.