Tips about the Important Features within a Warehouse Security System
Alarm systems and high definition video surveillance cameras
- Alarm systems and high definition video surveillance cameras are both essential elements of warehouse security.
- Buildings must be constructed of materials that resist break-ins and protect from outside tampering. It is recommended that periodic inspections and repairs are done to your building’s structure.
Perimeter fencing around your facility’s yard should enclose every area that surrounds your storage facilities.
Adequate lighting must be provided inside and outside the facility, especially in the following areas: entrances and exits, cargo handling and storage areas, fence lines and parking areas.
Keep the areas designated for receiving and dispatching physically separated.
- Do a comprehensive background check when hiring new employees
- Invest in on-going employee training.
- Eliminate manual data entry, and use RFID or barcode scanning instead.
- Protect entrance and exit doors with a quality physical access control system.
- Create and adhere to a security policy to remove trash and scrap from the warehouse.
- Unload vehicles through separate channels.
- Restrict visitors from roaming the premises, unless supervised.
- Establish a proper control for the outgoing shipping consignment.
- Inspect all vehicles that enter and exit the warehouse.
- Place guards at all entrance and exit checkpoints.
- Review, test and maintain the warehouse security system on a regular basis
Use of First Aid Protocols in the Warehouse
- First aid is emergency care given immediately to an injured person.
- The purpose of first aid is to minimize injury and future disability. In serious cases, first aid may be necessary to keep the victim alive.
- The initial management of injuries and illness, until expert medical attention is received, could make a difference between life and death.
- Employers must carry out an assessment of first aid needs and ensure that there are:
- adequate and appropriate equipment and facilities for giving first aid to employees. This includes a first-aid box and first-aid room, depending on the size of the warehouse;
- an ‘appointed person’ where necessary to take charge in an emergency whenever people are at work.
- Qualified first aiders.